Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One week ago today



So it's been one week since I went into labor. It all started around dinner time. About 5:00 Wednesday evening I noticed that I was having contractions pretty regularly. I'd been having maybe about 5 a day for the last month but these kept coming and were more like 5-6 and hour. They weren't painful but it made me think that I should probably do all the last minute things. As the night wore on it became apparent that I would end up in the hospital sometime that night. By about 10:00 the contractions were getting a lot more painful so I labored at home for a while and at 1:30 we dropped of the kids at Alice's and headed to the hospital. It was perfect I got all checked in, they handed me the gown, I got dressed in it - twice (I put it on backwards the first time) and then I went to sit on the bed and my water broke. At this point it was 3:00 and I was at a five. By 4:00 my epidural was under way and at 6:00 I was at an eight. Everyone figured I would have the baby around 8:00. But then everything halted. I stayed at an 8 for another 6 hours. They gave me pitossin to get my contractions to be harder in the hopes that it would help me progress. By noon I was fully dilated but Desmond was still quite high up. We tried pushing but it didn't do anything. My doctor checked me at some point and determined that his head was cocked to the side and it was preventing him from coming into position. We figured we could just keep going and hope that he moved into position. About 3:00 my Dr. came back and said that we would try pushing again and if that didn't work he would use the vacuum and then if that didn't work we would have to do a C-Section. At that point I didn't care what we did I was done. We got all geared up to push and after one push John, the nurse, and the Dr. all exclaimed wow, great, etc. After 2 pushes John said "the head is out!" Next push he was born. We were all shocked and I couldn't have been happier. What a great ending to the very long process. I've never had the pushing go so well and it's always my least favorite part. So although the whole process was very long and I had a little break down about half-way through I feel like I can't complain because the end went so quick. Little Desmond came out looking a little rough and had a side cone head but he was in great shape otherwise. Throughout the process he never showed any signs of distress and seemed to be just a happy little camper hanging out in there.

So far I've been taking it very easy and figure I'll just allow myself to heal before taking on life fully again. I sit around a lot and spend a lot of time feeding Desmond and holding him. My mom decided at the last minute to come into town to help out and it has been so wonderful. She takes care of the other kids and the house so that I can just rest. It's also nice to have company around so I don't start feeling too cabin feverish. We'll see how I do when she leaves but for now I'm just taking advantage of having her here.

Desmond is doing great. He's a great nurser and does great at sleeping off and on. Enough to feel like I get some occasional good sleep. He's not a cryer yet and he's a great snuggler. So far it has been a good week.

This is what Collin likes to do with the baby. Overall he is so good with him. He frequently comes up and just pats him softly on the head and talks to him.


P.S. Many people have asked where we got the name Desmond. Apparently there is a show called "lost" with a character on it named Desmond. We don't really know anything about that but we both really like the Beatles song "OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA". It talks about Desmond and Molly and we just fell in love with the name.

It could also be that we've watched every episode from a certain show and think there's a guy on there with a really great accent and fantastic hair and we just HAD to name our son after him. Or maybe we just liked his name.

7 comments:

Lesley said...

You are too funny! I have never heard of Lost, I don't own a TV :) Thank Goodness for the internet!
When the going went tough Desmond responded wonderfully, no C section. Can't wait to see him!

Parkers said...

It was so fun to read your post! Thanks for filling us in on the big event. He is so cute, and I'm so happy that you are all doing so well. We can't wait to meet him!

Melanee said...

Awww, what a cutie! I'm glad you didn't have to have a c-section. That would've been a real bummer. Don't let him get any bigger until we can get out there to see him! We're so excited for you!

Lindsey's Lemonade said...

I love reading the blow by blow. I am so glad that everything turned out well in the end. Not that any labour is "good times" but c-sections whomp. What a good little boy to come out just how he was supposed to. i have actually never seen a full episode of Lost.

Roxy Dozier said...

Last night before bed I read a book to the girls. It's called The Biggest Valentine Ever by Steven Kroll. One of the main characters is named Desmond. There's a ton of books by him like The Biggest Snowman, and many others. My kids always enjoy it when I read a book that has their name written right in it. Now that they can read I have to make sure the book actually says their name and I don't just replace their name in the story. F.Y.I.

Unknown said...

Wherever you would go, these lv
would be taken as a attribute of chic and elegance. Your lv handbag
will accomplish your personality a appearance icon. The avant-garde times accept brought abounding of the avant-garde louis vuitton handbags
and a part of them the louis vuitton bags
fabricated by LV are advised to be at the top. The louis vuitton
are of accomplished quality. In this way it becomes simple for you to get authority of replica louis vuitton handbags

Unknown said...

Not alone do Chanel bag
attending abundant. Every anchorman Chanel Wallet
is issued its own hologram approval amount. This is the way to ensure that the Chanel handbags
that you accept purchased.