Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Grandma, Florence Irene McCormick

My grandmother passed away 3 nights ago. She was 98 1/2 years old and had lived a great life. Although she had a rough last week dealing with shingles and a broken ankle she died very peacefully in her sleep. As a child we spent almost every summer making the 3 day drive to Portland to visit her and my Grandpa. We loved going to her house and playing in her attic bedroom and walking to 7-11 to get slurpees. I remember she always had cookies in her cookie jar and her bedroom dresser was always picture perfect with everything arranged on it perfectly. She was a hard worker and always kept her house so clean. She only had a claw foot bathtub with no shower so we always got to take baths and thought it was great fun.

She was married at 24 and a widow for 24 years and married for 50 years. She was always really close to her sister, Ethel, and they have lived together off and on for all their lives. Aunt Ethel never married and they have been taking care of each other their whole lives. They had a great relationship and you can really tell how much they care for each other. One year we spent Thanksgiving at my Grandma's house. We had a wonderful dinner and had sat down for some delicious pumpkin pie that Grandma and Aunt Ethel had worked on together. I took my first bite and wasn't sure what was going on but it wasn't very good. With each bite I included more and more whip cream so that I could get it down. All of us were eating it and finally my Grandma sat down for her piece. After the first bite she exclaimed "Ethel didn't you put the sugar in this!" Aunt Ethel quickly replied "I though you put it in!" We all laughed and gratefully pushed away our plates.

I have a lot of good memories of my Grandma and am happy to have known her. I'm glad we spent a lot of vacations visiting her so that we could develop a relationship with her.

The day we found out that she had passed away Madison was saying her night prayer and this is how it went. "Please bless Grandma McCormick that she can do good in heaven. We're thankful that we can all die and be resurrected and come back to earth with perfect bodies and everyone can be nice to us including all the animals."

5 comments:

Melanee said...

Wow, I'm really glad you posted this since I never met Grandma McCormick and haven't really heard many stories about her. I love what Madison said in her prayer. You can tell she has parents who teach her the gospel.

Jules said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma but it sounds like she led a very full life, full of a lot of fun memories for you. Madison's prayer is amazing, what a special little spirit. You are doing a great job as parents.

Lesley said...

Love that Madison girl! I love that your Grandma's sister was like a second Grandma to you guys, although she never married she still has all that family support, that's how it should be! Your Grandma sounds like a terrific lady. I would love a claw foot tub.

George said...

Well said, Rob, well said.

Roxy Dozier said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I found your blog through The Price's, hope you don't mind. I cannot believe how big and beautiful and grown up your children are. I remember babysitting Madison when #2 was on the way. Man, kids grow up so fast! You have a very beautiful family.